D-158 (500 acres, 21 Nov 1788), D-62 (100 acres, 21 Nov 1788), D-62 (160 acres, 21 Nov 1788)
William Wilson. Origin: Old Inhabitant
On 27 July 1789, William Wilson received a grant of 500 acres in the current settlement of Millerton on Long Island. Quit rent was waived for two years. The land was bounded by that of John Miller, vacant land, the Estate of William Bunch, deceased, and the sea. Wilson also received 100 acres on 21 November 1788 in the Grays area. In total, William Wilson had four separate land grants, as depicted on both the Tatnall and the Lands & Surveys Maps, including additional parcels of 160 acres and 67 acres; in total, he was granted 827 acres—a substantial amount for an Old Inhabitant. On the Tatnall Map, the Millerton parcel of 500 acres is labeled “William Wilson, Esquire,” suggesting that he was a trained lawyer.
A William Wilson, Loyalist, received land in Abaco in 1789. We believe the Long Island William Wilson was an Old Inhabitant, as the name was common in the Bahamas, and because his grant did not state he was a Loyalist, and his quit rent was exempt for only two years.
Records show that a William Wilson married Catherine/Katherine Cochran/Cockran (Old Family Name) in New Providence on 14 March 1771, the same year this couple fathered a James Wilson. Another William Wilson, husband of Sarah, fathered Susannah Sophia Wilson, who was born on Long Island in 1798. As with other common names, it is difficult to discern exactly which biographical information is correct for this grantee, but we are certain he and his father were Old Inhabitants.
References: HB App E., Grant