Thomas Thompson was granted 80 acres in the Clarencetown area of Long Island on 9 February 1789. The land grant reads “Thomas Thompson, Loyalist,” and payment of quit rent was waived for 10 years. However, in Homeward Bound, Riley explains that the Rumer memorial on Harbour Island was put up in celebration of the Bahamians from Harbour Island who joined Deveaux’s men in the “overthrow” of Spanish Nassau. These men were called “Loyalists” and later granted land in accordance with that status. Thomas Thompson was one of these Bahamians. The land was bounded by that of Gibson & Taylor on two sides, Alexander Taylor, and Robert Learmont.
A Thomas Thompson was born on Harbour Island on 8 February 1746. The Thompson family has had a long history in the Bahamas, dating back at least as far as 1722. There are a handful of early records for the name Benjamin Thompson in the Dolly Mae records, in the Wyannie Malone Collection in the Hopetown Museum in Abaco, but the earliest familial reference was when a “Captain Thompson” was assigned land on “Providence Island,” Bahamas, between 1719 and 1722.
We also have further confirmation that Thompsons were present in the Bahamas as early as 1723, per the Assessment for the Maintenance of a Minister, during Governor Phenney’s administration. Thompson babies were being born and baptized in 1722. An Ann Thompson married William Sands of Eleuthera Island on 16 June 1758, and an Ann Thompson was born on New Providence in 1772. A Benjamin Thompson was born on New Providence on 17 April 1765 to John and Alice Thompson; a Benjamin Thompson married Sarah Frith 9 April 1761 on New Providence; and there was a Benjamin Thompson born on Harbour Island as early as 1732. And finally, a William Thompson was married on New Providence 21 June 1762. All in all, it is clear that Thomas Thompson was an Old Inhabitant.