Gordons, Deals, Old Grays, Andersons
D-155 (145 acres, 1791) Also has grants that are only on the Tatnall map.
John Anderson. Origin: Loyalist.
John Anderson was born in New York in 1762, and he died in 1838 in the Bahamas. When the American Revolutionary War broke out, he was in England, intending to become a minister. In 1778, he sailed to Georgia, where he served in the navy, infantry, and cavalry for the British, from whence he was appointed Lieutenant of his company of light dragoons.
At the conclusion of the war, he settled on Long Island, Bahamas and there married Susannah Wylly, daughter of Alexander Wylly, and sister of Alexander (the son) and William Wylly. Susannah’s father had been Speaker of the Colonial Assembly of Georgia and Secretary of the Governor’s Council. John and Susannah Anderson had four children: Susan Wylly (b. 1791), John Grant (b. 1793), Mary Eliza (b.1799), and George Campbell (b. 1803) Anderson.
John’s land grant on LI in 1791 of 145 acres in the current settlement of Gordons. John also received land grants in Abaco, Grand Caicos, and Cat Island in 1790. His grant on Abaco was escheated in 1834 for non-payment of quit rent.
John Anderson (the father) was appointed Captain of the Militia of Long Island 24 Jan. 1797 by James Armbrister. His son, George, became Chief Justice of the Bahamas and was granted a Baronet by Queen Victoria in 1874.
In a letter to his brother-in-law John Wallace in Savannah, GA dated Feb. 26, 1804, addressed from Campertown, New Providence, he writes of the disappointment of his cotton crops.
See inscriptions on his tomb and that of his wife in St. Matthew’s churchyard Nassau.
A John Anderson, along with several loyalist recipients of land on Long Island is listed as receiving a land grant in County of Queens, Nova Scotia (Nova Scotia Land Grant Papers 1765-1800).
Reference: HB, Parrish